In this post: You don’t have to be royalty to add little luxuries to your every day life. Here are affordable ways to add small pleasures to your daily routines.
I’m not exactly sure where my taste for little luxuries came from, but I’m pretty sure it had something to do with my upbringing.
It’s not that I grew up in the lap of luxury. Quite the contrary. I grew up in a house where every buying decision was based on spending the least amount of money possible. My mom believed in saving for big things, but when it came to everyday items, we always got the brand no one ever heard of.
And not because it was an up and coming artisan brand either!
Just once I wished we could get the brand everyone else was buying!
This experience made a lasting impression on me, and when I began making my own money, I immediately rebelled against this way of living. I quickly learned the pleasure of investing in simple luxuries to raise the quality of day to day life.
This is not to say you should spend recklessly or get yourself into debt. I’m talking about very small things and of course everyone needs to work within their own budget. But how much more delightful is life when you splurge on something you can easily afford, but just happens to cost more than the entry level version?
Some people are averse to this notion, but I’m a huge proponent. Get the Chanel nail polish! It really is better quality, lasts longer and has a unique and exceptional palette of colors. And while it’s more than double the drugstore brand, it’s not a lot of money. This is what I mean by little luxuries. Top of the line items that are not out of reach. Maybe you’re not going out and buying a Ferrari, but there’s no reason you can’t indulge in some low level privilege.
I decided years ago I’d rather buy one high quality item and live with fewer pieces, than buy lots of cheap items that I didn’t really love.
This is the same approach I take with little luxuries in my every day life. A few big ticket sacrifices allow for more small pleasures, so let’s look at 10 sweet indulgences that will add joy to your daily life.
1. Flowers – ok, you all know I love flowers but did you know I started buying flowers when I was at my very first job? I used to stop at the street market every Monday and bring a small bouquet of flowers to my desk every week. This brightened my outlook at work and I would bring lunch from home twice a week to free up money in my budget to pay for the indulgence.
All these years later, one of my favorite gift ideas (perhaps to yourself?!) is a flower subscription. The gorgeous bouquet below is from my sponsor Enjoy Flowers, a wonderful flower subscription service that delivers fresh flowers to your door.
There are a few flower subscription options at Enjoy Flowers and you can choose to receive your flowers either once or twice a month. I was particularly impressed with the packaging, which is designed to ensure your flowers are fresh and long lasting, as they are delivered directly from the farm, with the blooms carefully wrapped and secured in the box, and the stems perfectly placed in a container that keeps them moist.
They sure last a whole lot longer than those street market flowers I bought years ago!
2. Aromatic candles – I typically love anything that pleases the 5 senses and wonderful smelling candles fit right in with that goal. All the better if they come in a beautiful glass container that can be re-used. In summer I love lavender, but I have many other favorites and I love to light them on ordinary days to add a little lift to my spirits.
3. Body scrubs and lotions – It doesn’t really matter which you choose, as long as it’s something that utterly delights you. I enjoy trying new ones and often I’m influenced by the texture and scent, but I’m also a sucker for pretty packaging. Throw in a French name and I’m hooked!
4. Pretty note cards – In this digital age, it’s such a treat to get a hand written note. At the very least, I still believe in hand written thank you notes and I keep a collection of varied note cards on hand at all times. I pick them up whenever I see them and I’m completely charmed by the floral imagery.
And here’s a funny quirk about me – I never use the last one in the package because I can’t bare to part with them!
5. Scented hand wash – I keep this lovely hand wash by my kitchen sink and I can’t tell you how much nicer it is than grocery dish wash liquid. Yes, I still keep some of that stuff under the sink, but when I come home from a day out, the first thing I do is wash my hands and bask in this heady aroma.
6. Little style books – I enjoy sweet little books that offer inspiration and lifestyle advice, whether it be etiquette tips or fashion and decor tricks. Lighthearted reading, often with a French theme are titles I love to keep around my home. This one is “The Gospel According to Coco Chanel”.
7. Vintage English teacups – this one is an absolute favorite of mine! I’ve been collecting teacups for years and I really can’t say why they enchant me so much, but it’s so much more pleasurable to drink tea from a beautiful cup that from that football mug hubby brought home from the ballpark.
8. Perfumed soaps – in the same vain as the candles and hand wash, lovely French soaps are an exceptional treat. Extra points is they are carved with pretty flowers, these are gardenia scented and give the powder room a wonderful scent.
9. Cut crystal lidded jar – I’m fascinated with finding gorgeous containers for daily used items, to elevate my everyday routines to something special. How pretty the soaps look in this stunning jar, easy to see, yet covered to keep fresh.
10. Artisan foods & oils – a few years ago I was gifted with these Carter & Cavero olive oils and I fell in love right away. I’ve since added flavors to my growing collection and they make a simple dinner all the more extraordinary. I also like artisan salts and other specialty items.
The list could really go on forever, and I’ve just selected some examples to show you how these little luxuries can add a touch of the exceptional to your ordinary routines.
I try to do this in all aspects of my life, from the pens I use to the stamps I buy from the post office. Why go for the generic option when there’s a pretty floral or a “Love” stamp available?
A huge thank you to Enjoy Flowers for sponsoring this post! They’re offering my readers a special discount of 10% off on all their products, including their already discounted pre-paid products. Just click the link and use the code LORY2 at checkout after signing up.
Little Luxuries Source List – Click on the items below for direct links to the products. Where actual items were no longer available, I’ve provided similar options. (This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.)
- Glen plaid crystal vase
- Honey Lavender Candle
- Artisan Olive Oils
- Olive Oil Body Scrub
- Antica Farmacista Hand Wash
- The Gospel According to Coco Chanel
- Royal Albert Lady Hamilton tea cup
- Vintage embroidered hand towel
- Crystal lidded lar
- Rancé scented soaps
- Floral note cards
If you enjoyed this post, you might also like these (click on the links or photos):
Are you following Designthusiasm on social media? Please join us at the links below:
Linking with BNOTP