If there’s one thing that inspires my creativity, it’s sitting down to a freshly appointed desk with seasonal delights to recharge my design batteries. And no season has as many sensual cues as Fall. I like to ease into the season, so I’ve not gone full on orange yet, although that will come. For now, here are my 5 updates for an early Fall desk.
1. Walnuts – a nice bowl of unshelled nuts is both a lovely visual reminder of the harvest season, as well as a great between meal pick-me-up.
2. Miniature white pumpkins – a small cluster of tiny cream pumpkins doesn’t have much utility, but nothing says Fall like pumpkins. This delicate variety is small enough to keep your work surface clear and complements a soothing palette.
3. Seasonal fruits, especially pears and plums – I love to decorate with food and autumn is the perfect season to do so. I also like to surround myself with things to make my day more pleasant, so a nice slice of cheese and fruit is something I like to keep by my desk.
4. Tea – a warm cup of spiced tea, in maybe apple or pumpkin, is a wonderful luxury to keep at your desk as the seasons change and the weather begins to cool. I love the look of vintage china cups and always have them by my desk.
5. A rustic jug filled with wheat stalks – I love the coloring of wheat stalks and their gentle neutral tone works well with both the creams of early fall and the stronger colors that come later in the season. They play well off a floral arrangement on the desk.
My desk always includes photos and a clock, but given that my work requires mostly just my computer, the rest of my desk is free to display these seasonal treats. What do you like to keep on your desk?
Linking with Metamorphosis Monday, The Scoop, Inspire Me Tuesday, Twirl and Take a Bow, LittleRedBrickHouse SoMe2, Wow Us Wednesdays, Tablescape Thursday, From My Front Porch to Yours, Home and Garden Thursday, Feathered Nest Friday, Show and Tell Friday, Silver Pennies Sundays.