In this post: Add a posy of flowers to your spring decor. Use these free spring printables and tutorial to make a paper cone posy.⇒
I’m not much of a cook.
It’s not that I’m a bad cook. Quite the contrary. When it comes to holidays or entertaining, I’m actually a pretty decent chef.
But I utterly hate cooking!
I could never be one of those people that gets excited about cooking or planning my menu weeks in advance. I follow recipes like I’m doing a chemistry experiment, and will often put off the selection until the night before.
Not so with table decor, however. While others are working diligently on their menus, I’m blissfully immersed in the visuals that will greet my guests. I plan tables a month or so out, without ever thinking about what I’ll be serving.
It should come as no surprise, then, that my favorite thing to serve up on a plate is…
Not, of course, as a replacement for a centerpiece. But how lovely it is to have a sweet little posy at each place setting!
I enjoy creating printables to be framed and used as wall art, but even more fun is developing pieces that have utility beyond the borders of a frame.
For today’s post I decided to tap into my love for personal bouquets set at each individual place setting. I designed paper cones adorned with pretty spring graphics to be used as posies that could be placed on salad plates, bowls or even in a goblet.
After the party each guest can take the posy home as a little gift from the event.
How to Make a Paper Cone Posy
The best part of this DIY craft is that it’s as simple to make as can be. I’ve supplied the template with the printable art already on it so all you need to do is these few steps.
1. Download the art to your computer.
2. Insert the paper stock into the printer. (See my tips below.)
3. Print out the art on 8 1/2” x 11” paper.
4. Cut out the template, trying to cut right inside the lines (so they are not visible on the finished piece).
5. Pinch the bottom point (to make it easy to roll) and roll into a cone.
6. Tape or glue the overlapped cone together at the back. A single staple can help reinforce the bond.
7. Fill with flowers, real or faux.
SUBSCRIBE AND GET my free guide:
“20 Ways to Update Your Home for Your Changing Lifestyle”!
Some extra paper cone tips
- Pay attention to where you’ve downloaded the file so you can easily locate it to print.
- The success of your cone is only as good as the quality of your paper. Use good quality card stock or heavy resume paper. A subtle linen texture could be nice, as well.
- Choose the highest quality print setting.
- Gather your flowers with a rubber band to keep them neatly clustered. Cut them a little too long and trim a little bit at a time to ensure they’re not too short to be seen over the edge.
My secret confession: I didn’t plan ahead and was out of the paper stock I wanted to use. So, I improvised… I used manila folders instead of paper! Just make sure you cut them small enough to fit through your printer.
Fresh flowers are always my preference but for longevity you can always use faux. You can also thread some ribbon into tiny holes punched at the sides and hang your posy over a door knob or hook.
But my favorite way to use these are as adornments on each individual plate.
Cooking dinner is optional… ?
Download your free printable
For a FREE copy of the printable click HERE to download.
If you’d like the other 3 designs in the set, subscribe to become a member today! Simply fill out the form below for FREE access to the subscribers only library, where you can find the complete set along with several other printables, ebooks and more. New items are added every few weeks. Enjoy!
To get the look, click on the items below for direct links to the products. Where actual items were no longer available, I’ve provided similar options. If an item is out of stock but may be restocked, I left it on the list.
(This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.)
Have you visited the Designthusiasm shop? Click below to shop my favorites, my Instagram and my Amazon shop. Enjoy!!
Are you following Designthusiasm on social media? Please join us at the links below: