Have you ever been to someone’s home and thought, “Wow, if I had a gym like that I’d work out all the time”? The difference between a beautiful home gym and a treadmill that you squeeze into the corner of your room, piled high with laundry, is a matter of attitude. Sure, you need a certain amount of space to dedicate to working out and state-of-the-art gym equipment can be quite costly. But anyone with a basement or spare room and some cash for weights and a yoga mat can have an awesome home gym. Here are 10 Ways to Add Style and Function to Your Home Gym Design.
*This post has been sponsored by NewAir. However, all opinions expressed are entirely my own.
I’m a firm believer that it’s the small luxuries in life that make all the difference, both in adding grace to your days and charm to your home. This is the approach I use in designing my spaces and so I should point out, my purpose here is not to focus on gym equipment (although I’ve linked to my favorites at the bottom of the post), but rather the little pleasures that when added to your room create a beautifully designed space that caters to your needs. Let’s take a look…
- Fresh flowers – in the gym? Absolutely! Think of walking into your favorite hotel gym or elegant spa and the first thing you likely see is a simple refreshing bouquet of pretty flowers. This is not the place for a complicated arrangement but a clean little cluster of aromatic blooms is an uplifting way to begin your workout. Buy them at the grocery to make it a habit.
2. Spa Towels – I buy them by the dozen and keep them neatly rolled and tucked into a shelf in an old media stand. Pure crisp white, and if you can spray them with lavender water, all the better! I also keep a wicker basket next to the stand to toss the used towels in for a trip to the laundry room.
3. Mirrored wall – if you can swing a full wall, definitely go for it. Nothing keeps you motivated and aware of your form like a peek in the mirror. If your space is too small or just a segment of a room, opt for at least a full length mirror to hang on the wall. It’s also a great way to bounce light around a windowless room (like mine here in our basement).
4. Media – if you’re a TV person, go ahead and mount one on the wall. For music fans, a portable sound dock can be added easily to any room. We keep the remotes in the cup holders on the machines.
5. Pleasing paint color – I actually made a huge deal about selecting the paint color. When we moved into our home, this room was a deep mustard gold. With no natural light and dark equipment throughout, I wanted to lighten the mood with a clean relaxing tone, as spa-like as possible. The color I chose is BM Irish Mint and it gives me exactly the vibe I was going for.
6. Wall mounted fans – despite the fact that our home has central air, the 3 fans we have in the gym are a true benefit. I do wish I could reach the wall switch from the treadmill, so keep that in mind if you install your own.
7. Rubber flooring – I just love having the rubber floor. For functionality it can’t be beat. Great for traction, comfort and it has a lot of give.
8. Beverage cooler – this one has been a game changer for me. How many times have you gone down to the gym, only to realize you forgot to bring a water with you? I am delighted to have received this perfect new addition from my sponsor, NewAir. The sleek design goes well with our space, the cooler can be used free standing or built in, the removable shelves can be configured to accommodate a variety of beverages and the capacity is exceptional for its convenient size. The digital display is simple to use and easy to read, the double pane glass door is reversible and it also includes a security lock. Best of all, the price is right and the cooler works as well as many higher ticket models.
In fact, I’m so happy with my cooler that I’m thrilled to be hosting a Giveaway for you to have an opportunity to win a cooler of your own! Please click below to enter:
9. Healthy snacks – we keep bananas and apples, as well as power bars in the gym.
10. Candles or potpourri – it’s nice to fill the room with a pleasant fragrance. I use candles when doing yoga but when on the treadmill I stick to potpourri. It makes me nervous to see the candle flicking while I’m jumping around.
I hope I’ve given you incentive to add some luxury to your workout space. These are the things that help to motivate me and I hope the same works for you!
Source List – Click on the items below for direct links to the products. Where actual items were no longer available, I’ve provided similar options. (This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.)
- Beverage Cooler
- Media Stand
- Bose Docking Station
- Spa Towels
- Wall Fans
- Rubber Floor
- True Treadmill
- Cybex Upright Bike
- Octane Fitness Elliptical
- Heavy Bag Stand
- 70 lb Heavy Bag Kit
- Foam Roller
- 10 lb Medicine Ball
- Balance Ball
- Folding Exercise Mat
- Weightlifting Gloves
If you enjoyed this post, you might like these solutions to common design challenges:
Are you following Designthusiasm on social media? Please join us at the links below: