In this post: Are you one of those people who’s very on the fence about Valentines Day? Here are 50 ideas for celebrating a happy Valentines Day at home.⇒
Valentine’s Day is such a curious holiday.
It’s a wonderful concept to celebrate love, but we gave up having dinner out many years ago, for several reasons.
For one thing, it was always so odd to see restaurants remove all their usual tables and replace them with tiny rented tables for two, all crammed in close together. Menus were often limited and prices doubled. The experience felt forced and hardly romantic.
At the same time, I feel Valentine’s Day is best celebrated with family. Yes, I realize it’s designed to be about romance, but the reality is from the time they were young, our kids were trained to treat Valentine’s Day as a more encompassing holiday. From valentines given to their entire childhood classes, to the elaborate sweets we would send when they were away at college, I simply equate Valentine’s Day more broadly with love.
Which is why long ago I got accustomed to setting a pretty table to celebrate Valentine’s Day with family.
(Be sure to scroll to the bottom for a list of 50 ideas to add a touch of indulgence to your at-home celebration.)
Happy Valentines Day Table
In fact setting a pretty table is #1 on my list of 5 ways to celebrate a happy Valentine’s Day at home.
Let’s look at the list…
- 1. Set a beautiful table thematically decorated. (See the rest of the post for the details.)
- 2. Order in (or cook) a luxury meal. I love to get cooked lobsters from our local market. Caviar is also often part of our special menu. The key is to serve a meal that’s truly out of the ordinary.
- 3. Serve the best wine you can reasonably afford. (This is obviously not going to the underage kids.) We’re not talking about taking out a second mortgage on your house to acquire this bottle, but look for something a little finer than your usual price point. But don’t just spend to spend. Do a little research and get something that is a genuine luxury.
- 4. Get the dessert. Make it as decadent as possible. It’s one day. Skip the weigh-in the next day. Enjoy and move on!
- 5. Leave a little gift on each chair. This is not the holiday for big gifts, at least not in our house, but charming little gifts along whimsical lines are perfect for this day. A lovely book of poetry or stunning photography, a beautiful floral print in a gilded frame, an aromatic candle or tube of fine French lotion. For children a special picture book can be a wonderful tradition, or a heart box filled with Valentines candy. There are endless possibilities, but it should be enchanting, luxe and a subtle pleasure.
For this year’s table I wanted to mix rustic with refined. I always enjoy an unusual juxtaposition of rugged elements with fine china and silver, as well as a pairing of patterns that more blend than match.
While January is all about clean clear whites, by February I welcome adding pinks into the mix.
I began with a chunky charger in a light wood, topped by a lacy dinner plate and a glass salad dish in lustrous pink. The stack is capped with a vintage cup and saucer in two Limoges patterns that lend a feminine air. They serve as a distinct counterpoint to the rough charger at the bottom of the stack.
The centerpieces on this table offer another interesting blend. Helping to anchor the soft color palette with blush and rose pinks, at one end a silver pitcher is brimming with gracious tulips.
At the table’s center sits an antique silver bread plate serving the signature dish of the day, a medley of velvet hearts with a delightful sheen. They are plump and enchanting, punctuated by little golden crowns.
Placed prominently between the florals they are a charming reminder of what this gathering is all about.
Join the Designthusiasm Community!
Get exclusive content including seasonal decor, home tours, designer secrets and more right to your inbox! You’ll also receive my free guide “20 Ways to Update Your Home for Your Changing Lifestyle”!
The second floral at the other end of the table sits on a hand blown glass cake stand, atop a stack of china dessert plates. They will be conveniently at the ready when the decadent dessert is served.
The supporting characters that round out this tablescape emphasize the blushing pinks that are so lovely this time of year. There are pink linen napkins with pretty edging, rolled neatly and tucked into antique sterling napkin rings.
The rings play off the silver flatware that is adorned with orchids.
The pink champagne flutes were also chosen for their color, which was intentionally played off a white linen tablecloth to underscore their warm hue.
You don’t need to wait for Valentine’s Day to set a beautiful table and serve a luxurious meal to the people you love.
But I can’t think of a better thing to do on this very day!
Celebrating Valentine’s Day with little luxuries and small pleasures can make the day feel extra special. As promised, here’s a list of 50 ideas to add a touch of indulgence to your at-home celebration:
- Breakfast in Bed:
- Start the day with a cozy breakfast served in bed.
- Silk Pajamas:
- Treat yourself to luxurious silk pajamas for a day of comfort.
- Aromatic Bath Salts:
- Enjoy a relaxing bath with aromatic bath salts.
- Personalized Playlist:
- Create a playlist with your favorite romantic songs.
- Gourmet Coffee or Tea:
- Savor a cup of gourmet coffee or your favorite tea.
- Fresh Flowers:
- Brighten your space with a small bouquet of fresh flowers.
- Homemade Treats:
- Bake or buy indulgent treats like chocolates or pastries.
- Cozy Blanket Fort:
- Build a cozy blanket fort for a playful and intimate setting.
- Reading Nook:
- Create a comfortable reading nook with soft pillows and good books.
- DIY Face Masks:
- Pamper yourself with a DIY spa day and facial masks.
- Luxury Scented Candles:
- Light luxury scented candles for a fragrant atmosphere.
- Silk Eye Mask:
- Relax with a silk eye mask for an indulgent nap.
- Wine Tasting Flight:
- Explore different wines with a mini wine tasting at home.
- Artistic Sketching:
- Try your hand at sketching or drawing for a creative outlet.
- Cheese and Charcuterie Board:
- Create a small, indulgent cheese and charcuterie board.
- Mini Dessert Sampler:
- Enjoy a variety of mini desserts for a sweet indulgence.
- In-Home Spa Night:
- Set up a spa night with scented oils, masks, and pampering.
- Love Letter Exchange:
- Write and exchange heartfelt love letters.
- Stargazing from Balcony or Window:
- Spend a moment stargazing from your balcony or window.
- Soft Fleece Blanket:
- Wrap yourself in a soft fleece blanket for warmth and comfort.
- Chocolate-Dipped Strawberries:
- Indulge in the classic delight of chocolate-dipped strawberries.
- Warm Beverage Bar:
- Set up a warm beverage bar with hot cocoa, tea, and coffee.
- Silky Robe:
- Lounge in a silky robe for a touch of luxury.
- Memory Lane:
- Look through old photos and reminisce about favorite memories.
- Virtual Cooking Class:
- Take a virtual cooking class together for a fun and unique experience.
- Candlelit Dinner:
- Enjoy a candlelit dinner with your favorite homemade or takeout meal.
- Mini Flower Arrangement Workshop:
- Try your hand at a small flower arranging workshop.
- Gourmet Popcorn Bar:
- Set up a popcorn bar with gourmet toppings.
- Film Festival at Home:
- Have a movie marathon with your favorite films.
- Satin Pillowcases:
- Sleep on satin pillowcases for a touch of luxury.
- Coffee Table Book Dive:
- Explore beautiful coffee table books for visual inspiration.
- Indulgent Face Masks:
- Treat yourself to luxurious face masks.
- Homemade Cocktails:
- Craft your own cocktails with premium ingredients.
- Personalized Poetry Exchange:
- Write and share personalized poems with each other.
- Soft Jazz Background Music:
- Play soft jazz music in the background for a relaxed vibe.
- Fondue Dessert Bar:
- Set up a fondue dessert bar with various dippables.
- DIY Flower Crowns:
- Get creative with DIY flower crowns for a playful touch.
- Indoor Picnic:
- Have a cozy indoor picnic with your favorite snacks.
- Virtual Art Class:
- Join a virtual art class and create something together.
- Lavender Sachets:
- Place lavender sachets in your pillowcase for a soothing sleep.
- Aromatherapy Diffuser:
- Use an aromatherapy diffuser with calming scents.
- Chocolate Tasting Flight:
- Sample a variety of gourmet chocolates.
- Soft Plush Slippers:
- Wear soft plush slippers for ultimate comfort.
- Sunset Watching:
- Catch the sunset from a scenic spot or your window.
- Whipped Cream Topped Drinks:
- Top your drinks with a dollop of whipped cream.
- Mini Photo Shoot:
- Have a mini photo shoot to capture special moments.
- Soothing Nature Sounds:
- Listen to soothing nature sounds for relaxation.
- Glowing Fairy Jars:
- Create glowing fairy jars for a magical atmosphere.
- Crystal Clear Ice Cubes:
- Make crystal clear ice cubes for a stylish touch to your drinks.
- Comfortable Lounge Set:
- Invest in a comfortable lounge set for a day of relaxation.
To get the look, click on the items below for direct links to the products. Where actual items were no longer available, I’ve provided similar options. If an item is out of stock but may be restocked, I left it on the list.
(This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.)