Inside: Everyone loves fall room decor, but people often overlook the most used room in the home. Here are quick and easy ways to add autumn warmth to your kitchen.
The kitchen is often viewed as the heart of the home.
As the center of nurturing and gathering family for meals, it’s easy to see why. Enjoying the warmth of the kitchen is easy in the summer, when bright sun shines through the windows on long days with many hours of sunlight.
But as the seasons change and the skies outside begin to gray, it’s twice as important to make an extra effort to use fall room decor to bring warm touches into your kitchen.
As with most of my fall decorating, I like to layer my autumn touches into my rooms, and strike many similar notes in the various rooms.
I tend to go beyond the visual, evoking the season through a variety of senses, and while I will be highlighting mostly decor ideas here, one cannot underestimate the delight that autumn foods brings, as well.
Following are 6 ways to add autumn warmth to your kitchen this fall.
1. Light – Soft overhead lighting and especially candlelight are the first things that come to mind when I think of adding warmth to a room. I keep candles in various spots around my kitchen.
2. Color – Autumn is a season awash in magnificent color. If you’re going to add candles or other decorative accessories, why not add them in a nutmeg, cinnamon or caramel color?
3. Seasonal Dishes – Beautiful plates can play the role of lovely artwork when displayed on the walls. I like to use gilded plate racks that are pretty in themselves, and make it easy to change plate motifs in a matter of minutes.
4. Spicy aromas – There’s nothing quite like the smell of autumn. Spicy aromas like cinnamon and the like can be found in potpourri and candles and add a delightful feeling of warmth to the room.
5. Nature Imagery – In addition to the imagery on dishes and ceramics, you can use actual items from nature like pinecones, acorns and leaves to bring the season indoors. I like to use these tiny treasures as filler around my candles.
6. Food – No autumn decor could be complete without gourds and pumpkins. I have them sprinkled throughout my house and in my kitchen I have a basket of warm toned gourds.
The cake plate is Gien Desserts Gourmands. The pattern is discontinued but you can sometimes find it on ebay.
(For source list, see the bottom of this post.)
The acanthus leaf trinket box is where we keep our keys. The gilding adds a warm glow to the room.
Botanical pumpkin plates utilize seasonal imagery to add warmth to the kitchen.
The plate racks were a darker tone that I painted a lighter gold for a bit of glimmer. Watercolors were purchased on a trip to the Cotswolds and framed locally.
Aromatique potpourri in Cinnamon Cider is both fragrant and decorative. The Dresden bowl is from a local antique market.
Pumpkin scented pillar candles add both color and seasonal aroma. I mixed mini pumpkins with mini pine cones for the filler.
5 Tuscan washed candlestick holders add a source of warmth and light.
The little table came from a local antique shop.
There are many other seasonal touches I like to enjoy in my kitchen, but one thing they all have in common is that they are pleasing to the 5 senses.
From the beauty of flowers to the crackling sound of candle flames, and the smells and tastes of autumnal foods to the feel of a soft blanket thrown over a chair; all these sensual touches add to the warmth of a home and to the kitchen, in particular, that is the heart of that home.
Fall Room Decor Source List
To get the look, click on the items below for direct links to the products. Where actual items were no longer available, I’ve provided similar options. If an item is out of stock but may be restocked, I left it on the list.
(This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.)
IF YOU LIKED THIS POST, YOU MIGHT ALSO BE INTERESTED IN:
- Fall Decorating: Warm Autumn Decor Ideas for the Kitchen
- 6 Easy Steps to Create a Beautiful Pumpkin Centerpiece
- 5 Tips for Creating a Fall Vignette in the Dining Room
- Create a Simple and Easy Fall Centerpiece
Have you visited the Designthusiasm shop? Click below to shop my favorites, my home and my Amazon shop. There are new items added every week. Happy shopping!!
Are you following Designthusiasm on social media? Please join us at the links below: