In this post: Are you looking to add patriotic decor to your home? Enjoy these ideas for how to use red white and blue decor elegantly in your home.⇒
Who doesn’t love blue and white decor?
It’s one of the most popular combinations of decor for the home.
But add in red and everything changes!
Whether you want to decorate for the Fourth of July or you’d just enjoy playing with an Americana theme, red white and blue decor can be very tricky and it’s not so easy to keep it looking elegant.
Each year I put together a chic table for July 4th and the same principles I use can be applied to general decorating for the rest of the home. There are certain things to avoid to keep it from looking too kitschy and other go-to secrets that work every time.
Following are my tips for styling patriotic decor and decorating with red white and blue in an elegant way.
1. Instead of using items that are each comprised of red white and blue, approach the room as a whole using solids in each of the colors.
2. Unless you’re doing a children’s party, keep the flags to a minimum and go for vintage when used. One sunbaked flag has a more authentic impact than a room full of stars and stripes.
3. Use classic patterns that are associated with sophistication and mix comfortably together. Chinoiserie and toile, gingham check and seersucker, indigo batiks and awning stripes can all serve this purpose.
4. Use floral arrangements that mix red white and blue flowers, or candles in solids that mix in much the same way.
5. Consider one dignified pattern that mixes all three colors like a floral pillow or Persian rug.
6. Use lots of white to tamp down the strong colors and save the red to use primarily as an accent.
You can see, below, some of my favorite inspiration from around the web, and each of these images reflects the way I’d approach red white and blue decor myself. These each achieve the look in a very successful way, exuding elegance and tradition along with the cheerful spirit of this fun combination.
You can enjoy a shopping guide beneath that of items that would mix wonderfully together, yielding a patriotic decor theme to enjoy any time of year!
Stunning mix of solids and florals at Lush Home.
Lengths of red drapery panels with blue + white chinoiserie at Design-Crisis.
Stunning bold color play from Barclay Butera via House of Turquoise.
Just a hint of red against classic blue + white at Chinoiserie Chic.
Stripes on stripes with patterned walls at Chinoiserie Chic.
A bold mix with the surprise of red chinoiserie toile from Joe Nye Flair.
Solid, stripe and print from Ralph Lauren Bedding at Simplified Bee.
Pretty cottage feel with gingham and pottery at Better Homes and Gardens.
Rich navy walls and lush white chairs at HGTV.
Summery patterns in coral and geometric at Style at Home.
Red highlights against indigo blues from Alessandra Branca.
Pattern on pattern in coral red + rich navy at Coastal Living.
Pops of solid red in pillows, fruit + fauna at My Home Ideas.
Red country check with faded blues + chinoiserie lamps at Atlanta Homes.
Gorgeous blue toile with red roses at Brabourne Farm.
Red White and Blue Decor Resource List
To achieve an elegant patriotic look, click on the items below for direct links to the products. Where items were no longer available, I’ve provided similar options. If an item is out of stock but may be restocked, I left it on the list.
(This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.)
IF YOU LIKED THIS POST, YOU MIGHT ALSO BE INTERESTED IN:
- 4th of July Champagne Brunch Tablescape
- Garden Party Decorations: Tabletop Tips for Summer Entertaining
- Preparing the Patio for Summer Entertaining
- Patriotic Decorations: Elegant Fourth of July Table Decor Ideas
- Patriotic Decor: Honoring Summer’s American Holidays
Have you visited the Designthusiasm shop? Click on the images below to shop my favorites, my home and my Amazon shop. There are new items added every week. Happy shopping!!
Are you following Designthusiasm on social media? Please join us at the links below: