In this post: Are you looking to add patriotic decor to your home? Enjoy these ideas for how to use red white and blue decor elegantly in your home.⇒
Who doesn’t love blue and white decor?
It’s one of the most popular combinations of decor for the home.
But add in red and everything changes!
Whether you want to decorate for the Fourth of July or you’d just enjoy playing with an Americana theme, red white and blue decor can be very tricky and it’s not so easy to keep it looking elegant.
How to Decorate with Red, White and Blue
1. Instead of using items that are each comprised of red white and blue, approach the room as a whole using solids in each of the colors.
2. Unless you’re doing a children’s party, keep the flags to a minimum and go for vintage when used. One sunbaked flag has a more authentic impact than a room full of stars and stripes.
3. Use classic patterns that are associated with sophistication and mix comfortably together. Chinoiserie and toile, gingham check and seersucker, indigo batiks and awning stripes can all serve this purpose.
4. Use floral arrangements that mix red white and blue flowers, or candles in solids that mix in much the same way.
5. Consider one dignified pattern that mixes all three colors like a floral pillow or Persian rug.
6. Use lots of white to tamp down the strong colors and save the red to use primarily as an accent.
Below, I’ve outlined several different approaches to try when decorating with this color combo. Some will resonate with you more than others, but all can be done with a touch of class.
Source: My Home Ideas.
Use a Neutral Base
Adding blue and red accents to an all white room is a classic and timeless approach to incorporating patriotic colors into your decor. The white backdrop provides a clean and fresh canvas that allows the red and blue accents to truly stand out. The strategically placed pops of red and blue, done with throw pillows, artwork, or decorative accessories, create a striking contrast that exudes elegance. The white base ensures a sense of simplicity and sophistication while the red and blue accents bring energy and patriotism into the design.
Source: Brabourne Farm.
Refine a Blue and White Room
Perhaps you already have a blue and white room? Simply adding red flowers is a charming and effortless way to introduce a note of vibrance and elegance to the space. The blue and white palette provides a soothing atmosphere. By incorporating red flowers as accents, whether in a vase, as a floral arrangement, or potted plants, you infuse the space with a burst of color and liveliness. The red flowers become focal points, drawing the eye and adding a sense of drama to the room. The contrast between the cool blues and whites with the vibrant red blooms creates a stunning composition, creating a space that is both tranquil and visually pleasing.
Add Color with Pillows
Using pillows to add color is a simple yet effective way to inject personality into a space. Whether you have a neutral or a bold color scheme, incorporating pillows in various hues can instantly transform the look and feel of a room. Carefully selecting pillows that work with your existing decor can add style and hone in on your theme at the same time. Vibrant pillows can breathe life into a monochromatic room, while subtle and muted tones can add sophistication to a vivid space. The versatility of pillows allows you to easily switch them out whenever you want to refresh your decor, making them an affordable option for adding color to your space.
Patterned Wallpaper with Contrasting Pops
Blue and white patterned wallpaper can function as a playful foundation to play off of with bold shots of color. The wallpaper adds depth and interest to the walls, while maintaining a look that’s essentially monotone. Strategically incorporating red with a statement chest, lampshade, or other strong piece, infuses the space with a burst of energy and drama. The red color instantly grabs attention and becomes a focal point against the blue and white backdrop, creating a captivating contrast. The combination of the patterned wallpaper and bold red pops adds a touch of sophistication and personality to the room, resulting in a stunning and inviting space.
Embrace the Power of Navy Walls
Using the drama of navy walls as a base for this color scheme creates a bold and luxurious atmosphere. Navy walls bring a sense of depth and richness to the room, providing a stunning base for the red, white, and blue color palette. The deep hue of navy evokes a feeling of elegance and sophistication, setting the stage for a stylish and timeless design. Against the dark backdrop, red and white accents pop with intensity and clarity. Whether it’s through red throw pillows, white decorative objects, or a patterned rug, the vibrant colors stand out beautifully against the navy walls, exhibiting a sense of grandeur and refinement.
Mix Classic Chinoiserie with One Bold Accent
Mixing groupings of chinoiserie pieces with a single bold pop of red creates an intriguing balance in the room. Chinoiserie, with its intricate patterns and delicate designs, brings an air of elegance and establishes a cohesive and harmonious aesthetic. The use of a single jolt of red, whether it’s a vibrant red armchair, a red lacquered side table, or red drapery panels, adds a brilliant focal point to the space. This combination of subtle and intricate chinoiserie elements with a powerful burst of red creates a space that is visually stimulating, sophisticated, and memorable.
Layer Patterns Together for More Interest
The simple layering of patterns together is another approach to utilizing a red white and blue palette. By carefully selecting patterns that complement each other in terms of scale, color, and style, you can achieve a harmonious and cohesive look. Mixing patterns such as stripes, florals, geometric prints, or even chinoiserie can bring a sense of liveliness and personality to the room. The key to successful pattern layering is to maintain a balance and ensure that the patterns do not overwhelm the space. By using a mix of large-scale and small-scale patterns, as well as incorporating solids or neutrals to provide breathing space, you can create a well-curated space that is full of character and interest.
Go All In
Going all in with lots of color and patterns creates an eclectic design that champions energy and creativity. Embracing a maximalist approach, you can mix bold hues and patterns with confidence. Use a variety of patterns across different elements, including rugs and upholstery, to create a sense of depth that stimulates the senses. Remember to find a common thread that ties the different patterns and colors together, whether it’s a unifying color palette or a consistent design style. The key is to embrace the boldness and expressiveness of your chosen colors and patterns, creating a space that is a true reflection of your unique style and embracing the joy and exuberance that comes from a vibrant and eclectic mix.
Source: Alessandra Branca
More tips to help you achieve an elegant aesthetic:
- Try a more subtle version of this color scheme: Instead of using bright primary shades, opt for deeper, richer hues of red, white, and blue. For example, consider using burgundy or navy blue instead of vibrant red or royal blue.
- Focus on neutrals: Incorporate neutral colors such as ivory, beige, or gray as your primary base. This will help balance out the boldness of the red, white, and blue elements and create a more refined look.
- Use high-quality materials: Select decor items made from high-quality materials such as silk, velvet, or linen. These luxurious textures will elevate the overall elegance of the space.
- Add metallic accents: Incorporate gold, silver, or brass accents to bring a touch of glamour to the red, white, and blue color scheme. Consider using metallic picture frames, candle holders, or decorative objects.
- Use patterns carefully: If you decide to include patterns, choose them wisely and use them sparingly. Pick a pivotal print that incorporates all the colors, then support the look with simpler two-tone patterns.
- Opt for classic furniture pieces: Choose timeless furniture pieces with clean lines and elegant silhouettes. Neutral-colored upholstery or wooden furniture will complement the red, white, and blue decor without overwhelming the space.
- Layer textiles: Add depth and sophistication by layering textiles. Use plush rugs, luxurious curtains, and textured throw pillows in shades of red, white, and blue to create a visually appealing and cozy ambiance.
- Pay attention to lighting: Proper lighting can greatly enhance the elegance of a space. Consider installing soft, warm lighting fixtures and placing table lamps strategically to create a warm and inviting atmosphere.
- Display artwork and accessories: Incorporate artwork or accessories that evoke a sense of sophistication. Look for pieces with subtle patriotic themes or opt for elegant abstract art. Remember to maintain a balanced display to avoid clutter.
- Maintain simplicity: Lastly, remember that elegance often lies in simplicity. Avoid overcrowding the space with too many decorations. Embrace a minimalist approach, allowing the red, white, and blue elements to shine while maintaining an overall sense of sophistication.
Whether you prefer an elegant and restrained approach or a bold and vibrant one, incorporating red, white, and blue into your decor can create a stunning and patriotic atmosphere. From using a white base and adding red and blue accents for a classic touch, to starting with a blue and white room and introducing red flowers for a pop of color, there are various ways to achieve an elegant and captivating look. Additionally, utilizing blue and white patterned wallpaper as a backdrop for bold pops of red or embracing the drama of navy walls with contrasting accents can elevate the overall aesthetic. Finally, layering patterns together or going all in with lots of color and patterns allows for creative expression and a visually stimulating space. Ultimately, the key is to find a balance that reflects your personal style and creates a space that is both visually appealing and welcoming.
To get the look, click on the items below for direct links to the products. Where actual items were no longer available, I’ve provided similar options. If an item is out of stock but may be restocked, I left it on the list.
(This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.)