In this post: Looking for ideas to add cheer and optimism to your winter home? Try using Valentine’s Day decorations to elevate the mood in your home.⇒
It’s pretty hard to feel glum when your kitchen is brimming with pink flowers.
You might be single and living 3000 miles from your nearest relative, or maybe the commercialism of Valentine’s Day makes it seem like a ridiculous day to celebrate.
After all, we love the people we love every single day of the year.
But taking advantage of a holiday that comes in the depths of winter, when spring is as far in the future as Christmas was in the past, is an opportunity that anyone should be reluctant to pass up.
Why Use Valentine’s Day Decorations
In my view, Valentine’s Day is a charming concept if you don’t take it too seriously. I enjoy the respite from the winter blahs to add bountiful color to my pared back surroundings. Why not have an excuse to indulge oneself, as well as your loved ones?
A day at the spa. A bowl full of chocolates. A package of gorgeous sugary confections.
It’s a day to let people know how much you love them, or even to show yourself some love.
Celebrating at Home
In our house the ritual is sending hand written cards to everyone in our extended family. I’ve also taken to sending gifts of sweets, a habit I got into when my kids left for college. Who wouldn’t want to receive a giant chocolate chip cookie, miniature cupcakes or French macarons?
After a while, half the fun was finding something new to send to try to top the year before, or at least to be different. The key was to take advantage of the element of surprise.
For hubby and I, things are somewhat understated, but we do mark the day with a lovely dinner at home, the table dressed to the nines typically inspired by a romantic theme.
I also love to pepper our home with the rosy glow of romantic decor touches.
The Key Decor Concepts
My favorite decorations fall into a few categories and each adds a specific aspect of cheer to the home.
First, and probably most obvious, is the occasion to add color. While on January 1st I was itching for a crisp clean whiter-than-white home, just a month later I’m looking for an excuse to perk up my rooms. Valentine’s Day decorations are just the thing to add temporary color to hold you over until spring.
Next, I love the unabashed freedom to go full-on-luxury. Gilding, crystal, velvet and china, this is a great time to pull out the best of the best. Sure, you hardly ever use the floral French china, not even on your most revered holidays, but Valentine’s Day gives you the pretext to be as frilly as you like. It’s so brief… why not?
And finally, this is a moment to indulge a bit of whimsy, as well. Get as creative as you like. It’ll be put away before you know it. When else can you get away with scattering flower petals on the floor?
Today I’m sharing 50 ways to use Valentine’s Day decorations to uplift the mood in your winter home.
50 Tips for Creating a Romantic Atmosphere
- Fine China:
- Bring out your best china for a special and refined dining experience.
- Embroidered Table Linens:
- Opt for tablecloths or napkins with delicate embroidery.
- Romantic Candlelit Pathway:
- Line your walkway with flickering candles to create a warm and inviting entrance.
- Chic Rose Petal Path:
- Scatter rose petals along the floor to guide the way to a romantic setting.
- Golden Accents:
- Introduce gold-toned decor elements like candle holders or vases for a touch of glamour.
- Elegant Floral Centerpiece:
- Create a stunning floral arrangement with deep red roses as a captivating centerpiece.
- Sculptural Vases:
- Showcase artistic vases with fresh flowers as elegant decor pieces.
- Velvet Tablecloth:
- Drape your dining table with a luxurious velvet tablecloth for a sumptuous look.
- Crystal Glassware:
- Use crystal glasses to add a touch of sophistication to your table setting.
- Chandelier Elegance:
- Hang a chandelier or elegant pendant light for a glamorous overhead glow.
Join the Designthusiasm Community!
Get exclusive content including seasonal decor, home tours, designer secrets and more right to your inbox! You’ll also receive my free guide “20 Ways to Update Your Home for Your Changing Lifestyle”!
- Champagne and Chocolates in the Bath:
- Prepare an indulgent soak in the tub with crystal flutes for a celebratory feel.
- Gilded Picture Frames:
- Display cherished photos in gilded frames for a sentimental touch.
- Satin Chair Covers:
- Dress your dining chairs with satin covers for an extra layer of elegance.
- Scented Atmosphere:
- Light scented candles or use essential oil diffusers to infuse the air with a romantic aroma.
- Velvet Upholstery:
- Consider velvet upholstery for chairs or sofas to add a touch of luxury.
- Regal Red and Gold:
- Combine rich red and gold accents for a classic and regal color scheme.
- Lace Table Runner:
- Lay a delicate lace table runner for a touch of romance.
- Heart-Shaped Napkin Folds:
- Fold your napkins into heart shapes for a charming table detail.
- Mirror Reflections:
- Place mirrors strategically to enhance the sense of space and elegance.
- Soft Jazz Playlist:
- Play a soft jazz or classical music playlist for a refined ambiance.
- Gilded or Stone Cherubs:
- Create a pretty vignette and punctuate it with a vintage cupid figurine.
- Velvet Hearts:
- Add a touch of romance with plush stuffed velvet hearts in various shapes and colors.
- Framed Romantic Quotes:
- Frame quotes about love and romance to scatter around your home.
- Monogrammed Linens:
- Use monogrammed linens for a personalized and elegant touch.
- Chocolate Fondue Station:
- Set up a chocolate fondue station with an array of dippable treats.
- Velvet Ribbon Accents:
- Tie velvet ribbons around vases or cutlery for a luxurious touch.
- Pearlescent Balloons:
- Inflate pearlescent balloons and scatter them throughout the room.
- Heart Shaped Wreath:
- Set the welcoming tone at the front door with a heart shaped floral wreath.
- Sculptural Bouquet:
- Opt for an artistic flower arrangement that doubles as a visual centerpiece.
- Soft, Flickering Lanterns:
- Use lanterns with candles for a soft and intimate glow.
- Antique or Copper Candle Holders:
- Use antique candle holders for a vintage and elegant touch with a rosy glow.
- Luxe Satin Ribbons:
- Tie satin ribbons around chair backs or candle holders for a touch of romance.
- Fairy Lights Canopy:
- Create a dreamy ambiance with a canopy of fairy lights.
- Silver Tray Service:
- Serve drinks or appetizers on silver trays for a touch of elegance.
- Gourmet Chocolate Display:
- Showcase a variety of gourmet chocolates on a decorative tray.
- Silk Pillow Accents:
- Place silk pillows on sofas or chairs for added comfort and style.
- Classic Black and White Photos:
- Display black and white photos of cherished moments.
- Heart-Shaped Wall Art:
- Hang heart-shaped art pieces for a romantic focal point.
- Sleek Champagne Buckets:
- Keep champagne chilled in sleek buckets for a polished look.
- Elevated Dessert Display:
- Present desserts on tiered stands for a visually appealing display.
- Love Letter Station:
- Set up a station with romantic quotes or love letters for a personalized touch.
- Wine Glass Charms:
- Use charming wine glass markers for a personalized touch.
- Cushioned Seating:
- Arrange floor cushions or plush seating for a relaxed and intimate setting.
- Mood Lighting:
- Experiment with dimmable lights or candles for a customizable ambiance.
- Silverware Etiquette:
- Set the table with proper silverware etiquette for a formal feel.
- Regal Wall Sconces:
- Install wall sconces with ornate designs to enhance the decor.
- Crystal Ice Bucket:
- Keep beverages cool in a crystal ice bucket for a touch of sophistication.
- Elegant Cake Stand:
- Showcase desserts on an elegant cake stand as a focal point.
- Subdued Color Palette:
- Stick to a subdued color palette of pale pinks for a refined and cohesive look.
- Love Seat Nook:
- Create a cozy love seat nook with plush cushions and throws for an intimate conversation area.
When it comes to Valentine’s Day decorations, try not to overthink it. Sure you want to keep it refined and elegant, but have a little fun. It’s a lovely moment in the middle of a quiet and challenging season to indulge the senses and enjoy the good things in life!
To get the look, click on the items below for direct links to the products. Where actual items were no longer available, I’ve provided similar options. If an item is out of stock but may be restocked, I left it on the list.
(This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.)