In this post: Looking for summer decor ideas to update your home? This summer decorating guide has 50+ top decor ideas plus a FREE printable.⇒
Summer is a time for paring back. We wear less, we eat less, we do less. We simplify.
So why do we need to decorate for summer?
Well, we don’t. But, isn’t a table draped in breezy white linen, topped with vibrant geraniums and gingham check napkins infinitely more cheerful than a bare wood table?
Enhancing our mood is what seasonal decorating is all about. It makes the celebrations more joyful and makes everyday living less mundane, adding a note of pleasure to the simplest of activities.
But it also doesn’t need to be complicated.
Summer decorating can be as simple as a vintage bowl full of seashells, a market basket brimming with lavender, or a flower arrangement punctuated by lemon branches. Quick and easy is the order of the day when it comes to this carefree season.
In this summer decorating guide, I’m sharing 50+ top summer decor ideas that will brighten your home and bring a sense of cheer to your environment. They are all super uncomplicated and may inspire additional ideas for you to add to your own home.
Then be sure to scroll to the bottom where you can find access to a new FREE summertime printable to download and print.
Summer Decor Ideas 1-9:
- Create a vignette on a tray with lemons and a chinoiserie vase
- Fill a vintage bowl with seashells and place on the coffee table
- Replace heavy fabrics with white linen and gauze
- Use terra-cotta pots for indoor plants. Group a few together in a vignette and include an empty one, fallen over
- Include bee motifs on linens, glassware or ceramics
- Try whitewashed wood side tables or other accent pieces
- Group an assortment of sea glass bottles on a ledge or table and add a single bloom to each
- Display a vintage galvanized bucket overflowing with hydrangeas and sit it on an old worn stool
- Add pieces of driftwood or aged wooden bowls to your displays
Summer Decor Ideas 10-18:
- Flank the front door with planters filled with easy-to-care-for impatiens
- Place a piece of white coral on a stack of books
- Use ceramic berry containers filled with real or faux fruit. Strawberries are a pretty motif for embroidered linens
- Chambray makes a wonderful summer fabric. Use it in throw pillows, bedding or table linens
- Add olive branches to a glass demijohn or a distressed jug
- Hang wall art with a retro bicycle leaning on a picket fence. Extra points if it has a basket and flowers
- Drape a vintage summer quilt over a railing or the back of the sofa
- Sea creatures look great on embroidered pillows or hand towels
- Try a pair of olive topiaries in large floor planters or a trio of smaller lavender ones on a console table
Summer Decor Ideas 19-26:
- Trellis patterns and lattices are reminiscent of the garden. They look great on porcelain or on cabinet door fronts
- Use a trio of herb planters to decorate a shelf
- Create a floral arrangement using colorful daisies
- Place gingham check pillows on the bed or sofa
- Decorate the kitchen with a cherry pie on a cake plate. Pie motifs are also nice on tea towels
- Try peaches in a vintage crate or peach branches in a statuesque vase
- Keep a tray of tall glasses with beach-striped straws on a side table, at the ready for ice tea or coffee
- Include a mix of vintage calico bedding in the guest room
Summer Decor Ideas 27-34:
- Fill a rattan basket with lavender or hang a lavender wreath
- Hang coastal art with boats and nautical motifs
- Use red, white and blue patriotic decor in sun bleached tones
- Place a stack of ice cream bowls on an open shelf. Cone patterns and a scooper can add to the vignette
- Mix burlap in with your other summer fabrics. Try it as a table runner in the kitchen or dining room
- Hook a market basket over a door knob or hang a farmers market sign
- Replace glass cabinet doors with chicken wire in a dining room hutch
- Group vintage soda bottles or milk bottles in a mantel display
Summer Decor Ideas 35-42:
- Place colorful sunflowers in an organic vase to brighten a white room
- Try plates or pottery decorated with watermelon imagery
- Buy Adirondack chairs in a crisp white or in vibrant colors
- Use mason jars for simple floral arrangements or to corral your silverware
- Include ticking stripe throw pillows or kitchen towels. Don’t forget awning stripes, as well.
- Tie heavy rope in nautical knots and drape over a bowl
- Display pretty margarita glasses on a bar cart or buffet
- White eyelet looks pretty as a kitchen tablecloth or runner
Summer Decor Ideas 43-50:
- Use lemon and limes as filler in a floral arrangement with hydrangeas
- Add French wicker bar stools to the kitchen island
- Try painted ceramic tiles and colorful mosaics in a cheerful vignette
- Pineapples are a great summer motif to use on napkins, pillows or other linens
- Include seed packets in a bathroom vignette with flowers
- Scatter beach lanterns around the family room or place on the fireplace mantel
- Fill a white vase with baby’s breath and place on the kitchen island
- Use two-tone bistro chairs on the patio for a French bistro look
Summer Decor Idea #51:
There you have 50 summer decor ideas, but I have one more to add…
Download and print this lovely summer printable wall art, then pop in a frame to enjoy for the season… 🙂
If you’d like FREE access to the art, just fill out the form below to become a blog subscriber. The art will automatically be sent direct to your inbox, along with our new posts as they come out. (If you’re not sure where it went, check your downloads folder.) For best results, print on 8 x 10 card stock or water color paper.
If you are already a subscriber just click over to the Subscribers Only Library and use the password which you can find in any of my emails, including the one you received today… 🙂
IF YOU LIKED THIS POST, YOU MIGHT ALSO BE INTERESTED IN:
- Preparing a Guest Bedroom for Summer Visitors
- Summer Printables: French Floral Mason Jar Labels
- Summer Refresh for Your Master Bathroom Decor
- Summer Decorating: How to Prepare Your Home for Summer
- Outdoor Entertainment Area: A Casual Summer Gathering at Home
Have you visited the Designthusiasm shop? Click on the images below to shop my favorites, my home and my Amazon shop. There are new items added every week. Happy shopping!!
Are you following Designthusiasm on social media? Please join us at the links below: